Fresh on Blu-ray: ‘ROBOCOP’ sequel is retooled for collectors
Preston Barta // Editor
ROBOCOP 2 [Collector’s Edition]
Rated R, 117 minutes.
Director: Irvin Kershner
Cast: Peter Weller, Nancy Allen, Belinda Bauer,Gabriel Damon, Dan O’Herlihy and Tom Noonan
Available on Blu-ray Tuesday through Shout! Factory.
Your movie, creep
The RoboCop franchise lies deep in the heart of Texas. Much of the 1987 original film was shot in Dallas, while some scenes in its 1990 sequel were famously filmed in and around Houston to create a dirty, futuristic Detroit look.
RoboCop, starring University of North Texas alumnus Peter Weller, is many things: It’s a corporate satire, a violent action film, a black comedy and a sci-fi crime thriller. Plus, it’s educational entertainment for those seeking good one-liners and insults to throw at your enemies.
So when Orion Pictures decided to turn the original film into a franchise by releasing a sequel, it came as no surprise, because there’s so much you can do with a crime-fighting cybernetic police officer.
The first film focused on technology and morality. RoboCop 2 starts off in a way that makes you believe it’s going to take that concept further — especially when they introduce a plot about RoboCop being replaced and tap into Pinocchio-like ideals of whether or not he’s human — but after the first act ends, it loses its potential and becomes a typical, bigger and louder sequel.
With Shout! Factory’s stunning update, 2K restoration and fun bonus features (always the best part), RoboCop 2 is admittedly not as bad as you may remember. Despite its criticisms and slightly dated stop-motion effects (you’ll see it right away in this collector’s edition Blu-ray menu), its loose bolts can be appreciated today for all the wrong reasons. It’s great!
RoboCop returns to fight his toughest opponent yet: his replacement!
RoboCop 2 pits two unstoppable cyborgs against each other in a battle to the death! When Detroit’s descent into chaos is further compounded by a police department strike and a new designer drug called “Nuke,” only RoboCop can stop the mayhem. But in his way are an evil corporation that profits from Motor City crime and a bigger and tougher cyborg with a deadly directive: Take out RoboCop. Containing the latest gadgetry and weaponry as well as the mind of the madman who designed “Nuke,” this new cyborg isn’t just more sophisticated than his predecessor… he’s psychotic and out of control! And it’s going to take everything RoboCop has – maybe even his life – to save Detroit from complete and utter anarchy.
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive
- NEW Audio Commentary With Author/CG Supervisor Paul M. Sammon
- NEW Audio Commentary With The Makers Of “RoboDoc: The Creation Of RoboCop” Documentary – Gary Smart, Chris Griffiths And Eastwood Allen
- NEW Corporate Wars: The Making Of ROBOCOP 2 – Featuring New And Vintage Interviews With Director Irvin Kershner, Producer Jon Davidson, Cast Members Tom Noonan, Nancy Allen, Galyn Görg, Executive Producer Patrick Crowley, And More!
- NEW Machine Parts: The FX Of ROBOCOP 2 – Featuring Phil Tippett, Peter Kuran, Craig Hayes, Jim Aupperle, Kirk Thatcher, Paul Gentry, Don Waller, Justin Kohn, Randal Dutra And Kevin Kutchaver
- NEW Robo-Fabricator – An Interview With RoboCop Armor Fabricator James Belohovek
- NEW Adapting Frank Miller’s ROBOCOP 2 – An Interview With Comic Book Writer Steven Grant
- NEW OCP Declassified – A Collection Of Rare Archival Production And Behind-The-Scenes Videos Including Interviews With Director Irvin Kershner, Actors Peter Weller, Dan O’Herlihy And A Look At The Filming Of Some Deleted Scenes
- Theatrical Trailer
- Teaser Trailers
- TV Spots
- Deleted Scenes Still Gallery
- Still Galleries (Behind-The-Scenes Photos, Stills, Posters And Lobby Cards)