I have been working as a film journalist since 2010, dividing the first four years between radio broadcasting and entertainment writing in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. In 2014, I entered Fresh Fiction (FreshFiction.tv) as the features editor. The following year, I stepped into the film critic position at the Denton Record-Chronicle, a daily North Texas print publication. My time is dedicated to writing theatrical film reviews, at-home entertainment columns, and conducting interviews with on-screen talent and filmmakers, as well as hosting a podcast devoted to genre filmmaking (called My Bloody Podcast). I've been married for seven happy years, and I have one son who is all about dinosaurs just like his dad.
Preston Barta // Features Editor
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT [COLLECTOR’S EDITION]
Rated R, 79 minutes.
Director: Charles E. Sellier Jr.
Cast: Robert Brian Wilson, Lilyan Chauvin, Gilmer McCormick, Charles Dierkop, Toni Nero, Danny Wagner and Linnea Quigley
Available Tuesday, Dec. 5 on Blu-ray through shoutfactory.com and at Movie Trading Co.
Bumping elbows with other shoppers as you chase the latest on-sale item, visiting with unfriendly family members, burning your Christmas dinner — the holidays can be a horrifying time of the year. (Excuse me. Sorry, mom. The most wonderful time of the year.) It’s no wonder there’s an appeal to watch Christmas horror movies during this festive month. There’s something really nice about spicing up your eggnog with holiday movies that are simply to die for.
1984’s SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT catalyzed a franchise and redefined the subgenre in many ways. As ridiculous a movie as it sounds – often narrowed down to a story of a man dressed as Santa Claus who goes on a killing spree – there is a solid foundation laid before our central character becomes the seasonal slasher. It all begins when a young Billy (Danny Wagner) is left traumatized after seeing his parents murdered by a man (Charles Dierkop) in a Santa suit and years of abuse at an orphanage by Mother Superior (Lilyan Chauvin). Instead of taking pointers from Batman and using his fear for good, Billy uses his fear to terrorize others by becoming St. Nick, only he ain’t jolly.
SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT is truly a dark story. What so easily could have been a movie where a Jason or Michael Myers-esque soulless killer executes all the poor folks on the naughty list, there’s a nice blend of well-developed psychology behind its characters and fun B-movie horror. It’s a collector’s edition to own if you’re a fan of Christmas horror films or are in need of a killer stocking stuffer.
Extras: The Scream Factory release includes an unrated version of the film (at 85 minutes), behind-the-scene featurettes and interviews with the cast and filmmakers, three different audio commentary tracks, poster and still gallery, and original trailers and TV spots. Check out the full list below, along with details on the deluxe limited edition of the film that comes with an exclusive action figure.
DISC ONE: Theatrical Version
- NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative
- R-rated theatrical trailer and VHS trailer
- TV spots
- Radio spot
DISC TWO: Extended Unrated Version
- NEW 4K scan of the original camera negative with standard definition inserts
- NEW “Slay Bells Ring: The Story Of SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT” – featuring interviews with Writer Michael Hickey, Co-Executive Producers Scott J. Schneid And Dennis Whitehead, Editor/Second Unit Director Michael Spence, Composer Perry Botkin, and actor Robert Brian Wilson
- NEW “Oh Deer!” – an interview with Linnea Quigley
- NEW “Christmas in July – SILENT NIGHT, DEADLY NIGHT Locations – Then And Now
- NEW audio commentary with actor Robert Brian Wilson and Co-Executive Producer Scott J. Schneid
- Audio commentary with Michael Hickey, Perry Boykin, Scott J. Schneid, and Michael Spence
- Audio interview with Director Charles E. Sellier, Jr. From Deadpit Radio (Extended Version)
- Santa’s Stocking of Outrage
- Poster and still gallery
Special Offer for DELUXE EDITION: Order from ShoutFactory.com and get an EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION NECA ACTION FIGURE and an EXCLUSIVE LIMITED EDITION ROLLED POSTER of our newly commissioned cover art, PLUS get it SHIPPED FREE (Standard Shipping)! Limited to 2,000 copies.