I have been working as a film journalist since 2010, dividing the first four years between radio broadcasting and entertainment writing in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. In 2014, I entered Fresh Fiction (FreshFiction.tv) as the features editor. The following year, I stepped into the film critic position at the Denton Record-Chronicle, a daily North Texas print publication. My time is dedicated to writing theatrical film reviews, at-home entertainment columns, and conducting interviews with on-screen talent and filmmakers, as well as hosting a podcast devoted to genre filmmaking (called My Bloody Podcast). I've been married for seven happy years, and I have one son who is all about dinosaurs just like his dad.
Preston Barta // Features Editor
Looking for something fresh, fun, and free (and educational) to do with the family? There’s an exciting virtual event happening Thursday, Feb. 11, and Saturday, Feb. 13, called Camp Croods at La Brea Tar Pits!
Brought to you by the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County and Universal Pictures Home Entertainment with DreamWorks Animation, families have the opportunity to go on a scientific exploration of the Ice Age.
Through an interactive Zoom experience, you will have the chance to meet real-life paleontologists and the filmmakers behind THE CROODS: A NEW AGE! You’ll also get to make virtual Tar Pits discoveries and participate in some hands-on activities (including learning how to draw your favorite CROODS characters like a pro and how to make your own unique puppet creatures).
CROODS Campers will also get a sneak peek at the newly-released sequel – starring the voices of Ryan Reynolds, Emma Stone, and Nicolas Cage – ahead of the A NEW AGE’s physical release on Feb. 23. It’s available on Digital today!
Reservations are required for the event (one reservation per device).
Thursday, Feb. 11, from 5-6:30 p.m. CT
Saturday, Feb. 13, from 12-1:30 p.m. CT
- Getting to see some of Joel Crawford’s (director of THE CROODS: A NEW AGE) favorite “Croodaceous Creatures,” a.k.a. the strange and colorful animals that inhabit the world of the characters. Where else are you going to see a Kangadillo (a kangaroo and armadillo hybrid)?
- Learning about the iconic Tar Pits, which is the only actively excavated Ice Age fossil site found in an urban location in the world!
- Paleontologists share some of their favorite discoveries and inspire taking adventures of your own. (They may even have some fun and cheesy jokes to make parents chuckle.)
- A drawing lesson with a professional story artist who worked on THE CROODS sequel
- Make a cool-cat connection with Nibbles, the museum’s saber-toothed kitten puppet
- And did we mention that there are Q&A sessions?! You and your family will have multiple opportunities to ask questions to these artists and scientists!
For more information, visit tarpits.org!