Hello, there! My name is Preston Barta, and I am the features editor of Fresh Fiction and senior film critic at the Denton Record-Chronicle. My cinematic love story began where I was born: off planet on the isolated desert world of the Jakku system. It's there I passed the time scavenging for loose parts with my good friend Rey. One day I found an old film projector and a dusty reel of the 1975 film JAWS. It rocked my world so much that I left my kinfolk in the rearview (I so miss their morning cups of green milk) to pursue my dreams of writing about film. It wasn't long until I met two gents who said they would give me a lift. I can't recall their names, but one was an older man who liked to point a lot and the other was a tall, hairy fella. They got me as far as one of Jupiter's moons where we crossed paths with the U.S.S. Enterprise. Some pointy-eared bastard said I was clear to come aboard. He saw that I was clutching my beloved shark movie and invited me to the "moving pictures room" where he was screening the 1993 film JURASSIC PARK to his crew. He said my life would be much more prosperous if I were familiar with more work by the god named Steven Spielberg. From there, my love for cinema blossomed. Once we reached planet Earth, everything changed. I found the small town of Denton, TX, and was welcomed into the Barta family. They showed me the writings of local film critic Boo Allen. He became my hero and caused me to chase a degree in film and journalism. After my studies at graduate of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I met some film critics who showed me the ropes and got me into my first press screening: 2011's THE GREEN LANTERN. Don't worry; I recovered just fine. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was only four years away.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is releasing a Blu-ray combo pack (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital) of Jordan Peele’s latest nightmare, US, on Tuesday, June 18. Fresh Fiction has some Blu-ray copies to give away. Information on how to get yours is below, along with information on the release.
The rules are simple: Email email@example.com with your name and full mailing address (Note: U.S. addresses only and no PO boxes). Title your email subject: “US Movie Giveaway.” In the body of email, tell us about an experience you’ve had when you encountered someone who looked strangely similar to you. The giveaway is active now until next Wednesday, June 19 at noon, central time.
Preston Barta’s Synopsis
US is about Adelaide Wilson (a knockout Lupita Nyong’o), accompanied by her husband (Winston Duke) and two children (Shahadi Wright Joseph and Evan Alex), returning to the beachfront home where she grew up as a child. Haunted by her traumatic past, Adelaide becomes increasingly concerned as a series of coincidences and scary things happen. Hell comes (literally) knocking at her door when a doppelganger family puts their survival instincts to the test.
EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURE ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM & DIGITAL:
· Scene Explorations – The making of three iconic scenes from the film including the Tyler house massacre, Jason’s abduction and Adelaide’s underground flashback.
o Seven Second Massacre
o It’s a Trap
o I Just Want My Little Girl Back
BONUS FEATURES ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
· The Duality of US – Jordan Peele goes in-depth on some of the key themes and imagery in US – including Doppelgängers, Hands Across America, The Nutcracker dance scene, rabbits and the infamous 11:11 coincidence.
· The Monsters Within US – Examine how the great cast were able to find their characters, whether they were playing one of the Wilsons or their sinister doppelgängers.
· Tethered Together: Making US Twice – Making of a movie is hard. Making a movie where all the main cast play dual roles can be downright mind-bending. In this piece, filmmakers, cast, and crew discuss some of the technical challenges to making the film, as well as some of the design choices for the characters.
· Redefining a Genre: Jordan Peele’s Brand of Horror – In the space of two films, Jordan Peele has set himself apart as an invaluable artistic voice. Hear cast and filmmakers highlight what makes him so unique, as well as Jordan’s own thoughts on his inspirations and the relationship between horror and comedy.
· Becoming Red – Using behind-the-scenes footage from between takes, we take a closer look at Lupita Nyong’o’s intense and mesmerizing performance as “Red.”
· Deleted Scenes
o I Am Not Even Near You
o Rabbit Season
o That’s Badass
o The P is Silent
o I Wanna Go Home
· We’re All Dying – Hilarious outtakes from the conversation between Winston Duke and Tim Heidecker on the beach.
· As Above, So Below: Grand Pas de Deux – An extended version of the dance sequence from the film, cutting between adolescent Adelaide at her recital to Red in the Underpass.
US will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on Tuesday, June 18. It’s available today on Digital HD.