I have been working as a film journalist since 2010, dividing the first four years between radio broadcasting and entertainment writing in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex. In 2014, I entered Fresh Fiction (FreshFiction.tv) as the features editor. The following year, I stepped into the film critic position at the Denton Record-Chronicle, a daily North Texas print publication. My time is dedicated to writing theatrical film reviews, at-home entertainment columns, and conducting interviews with on-screen talent and filmmakers, as well as hosting a podcast devoted to genre filmmaking (called My Bloody Podcast). I've been married for seven happy years, and I have one son who is all about dinosaurs just like his dad.
Universal Studios Home Entertainment is releasing eighth entry in the FAST & FURIOUS franchise, THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS on Tuesday, July 11. Fresh Fiction has some Blu-ray copies to give away. Information on how to get yours is below, along with a short review of the Blu-ray and information on the release.
The rules are simple: Email email@example.com with your name and full mailing address (Note: U.S. addresses only and no PO boxes). Title your email subject: “Fresh Fiction FATE Giveaway.” The giveaway is active now until next Monday, July 10 at noon, central time.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY™:
- Comes with a digital code that unlocks the extended director’s cut (this is perhaps the most exciting thing about this release)
- Feature Commentary with Director F. Gary Gray
- All About the Stunts – Go behind the scenes to witness how THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS accomplished the most epic stunts in franchise history.
- Extended Fight Scenes
- The Cuban Spirit – As the first major studio motion picture to shoot in Cuba in decades, the country’s effusive spirit permeates the making of the film.
- In the Family – In THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, family ties are put to the ultimate test. Get an inside look at the family divide.
- Car Culture – It’s time to put yourself in the driver’s seat of the supercharged vehicles showcased in THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS.
With THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS, the outlaws are doing more special-ops missions. However, this time, our bald-headed action hero, Dom (Diesel), is blackmailed into being the latest recruit for cyberterrorist Cipher (Charlize Theron sporting Angelina Jolie’s wig from Gone in Sixty Seconds). He betrays his lead-footed family and leads them on a wild goose chase around the globe, from Berlin to New York City to the ice-covered Russia.
The true brains of Fast & Furious series, however, mostly lie on the streets. It’s shocking how much thought the filmmakers put into the action sequences. Whether the characters are cruising the streets of the Big Apple with hundreds of self-driven cars in tow (they aptly call them “zombie cars”) or are riding on thin ice while a submarine plows through their course, this film has an energy that’s only comparable to a feral feline hyped up on catnip. There’s so much fun to be had that no matter how many times Dom cheats death by ducking and rolling out of high-speed cars, the smirk of delight the film paints on your face forgives all.
If you can ignore the mad case of eye-rolls it gives you, THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS is an adrenaline-fueled popcorn movie that doesn’t disappoint. Director F. Gary Gray (STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON) drives the franchise well, and for all I care, he can take it for a spin anytime. (I should also mention that the Blu-ray comes with a digital copy that features the extended director’s cut as well.)
THE FATE OF THE FURIOUS releases on Blu-ray on Tuesday, July 11, 2017.