Hello, there! My name is Preston Barta, and I am the features editor of Fresh Fiction and senior film critic at the Denton Record-Chronicle. My cinematic love story began where I was born: off planet on the isolated desert world of the Jakku system. It's there I passed the time scavenging for loose parts with my good friend Rey. One day I found an old film projector and a dusty reel of the 1975 film JAWS. It rocked my world so much that I left my kinfolk in the rearview (I so miss their morning cups of green milk) to pursue my dreams of writing about film. It wasn't long until I met two gents who said they would give me a lift. I can't recall their names, but one was an older man who liked to point a lot and the other was a tall, hairy fella. They got me as far as one of Jupiter's moons where we crossed paths with the U.S.S. Enterprise. Some pointy-eared bastard said I was clear to come aboard. He saw that I was clutching my beloved shark movie and invited me to the "moving pictures room" where he was screening the 1993 film JURASSIC PARK to his crew. He said my life would be much more prosperous if I were familiar with more work by the god named Steven Spielberg. From there, my love for cinema blossomed. Once we reached planet Earth, everything changed. I found the small town of Denton, TX, and was welcomed into the Barta family. They showed me the writings of local film critic Boo Allen. He became my hero and caused me to chase a degree in film and journalism. After my studies at graduate of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I met some film critics who showed me the ropes and got me into my first press screening: 2011's THE GREEN LANTERN. Don't worry; I recovered just fine. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was only four years away.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is releasing a Blu-ray combo pack (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital) of FAST & FURIOUS PRESENTS: HOBBS & SHAW, on Tuesday, November 5. Fresh Fiction has some Blu-ray copies to give away. Information on how to get yours is below, along with information on the release.
The rules are simple: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and full mailing address (Note: U.S. addresses only and no PO boxes). Title your email subject: “HOBBS & SHAW Movie Giveaway.” In the body of email, tell us your favorite playground insult used in a movie. The giveaway is active now until next Friday, November 8 at noon, central time.
Preston Barta’s Synopsis
In this go-round, lawman Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) and outcast Deckard Shaw (Jason Statham) are contacted by their respective agencies and are tasked with saving the world again. The big bad here is a cyber-genetically enhanced villain named Brixton (Idris Elba). This dude is RoboCop with a chip malfunction — just add the strength of Superman. He even calls himself “Black Superman.” He certainly puts Hobbs and Shaw to the test as the duo anticipates Brixton’s defeat will be a cakewalk — considering this isn’t their first rodeo. But Brixton is smart and has Transformers-like tech that allows him to weasel around and throw a few Hulk punches.
Shaw’s younger sister, Hattie (Vanessa Kirby of Mission: Impossible — Fallout), is caught in the mix, too. At the film’s beginning, she attempts to save the world, but circumstances lead her to inject herself with a manufactured virus that has the power to wipe out humanity. She’s on the run because British intelligence thinks she sabotaged the mission and should be held accountable for her squad’s demise. While she hides in the shadows, Hobbs and Shaw must find her before Brixton extracts the virus and follows through with his world-ending promise.
EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURE ON 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM & DIGITAL:
· DELETED/EXTENDED/ALTERNATE SCENES
· JOHNSON & STATHAM: HOBBS & SHAW – Why this film duo works so well together on and off the set.
· PROGRESS OF A FIGHT SCENE WITH DIRECTOR DAVID LEITCH – From script, to storyboard, to finally arriving on set and working with cast and crew, this piece will illustrate the progression of fight scenes from concept to execution.
· PRACTICAL ACTION – Any film featuring Jason Statham or Dwayne Johnson is sure to be action packed and feature some over-the-top fight scenes. For the film, each fight sequence was carefully choreographed and shot ahead of time for the actors to use in training and ultimately in shooting the scene.
· THE BAD GUY*- Fans can explore what makes the ultimate baddie, as well as Brixton’s backstory, casting Idris Elba, special effects for his cyber features and what makes him tick.
· THE SISTER*- This piece will highlight Vanessa Kirby as Hattie Shaw – she may be Deckard Shaw’s little sister, but don’t be fooled, she’s equally capable of kicking just as much ass as he does.
· HOBBS’ FAMILY TREE*- This character piece will highlight the extended family of the Hobbs heroes. From Hobbs’ daughter, mother and brothers, take a high-energy, behind-the-scenes look at their time on set.
· THE MATRIARCH*- With her brief appearance in HOBBS & SHAW, audiences are reminded of the matriarchal might of Helen Mirren as mother Shaw. This piece will feature Mirren in her return to the role.
· NEW FRIENDS – Featuring hilarious moments with the cameos featured in the film, this piece will showcase some of the best moments from their days on set.
· ELEVATOR ACTION*- The elevator scene in the trailer – yes, you know the one. This is just one of the crazy stunts in the film – now fans can see how it was done.
· STUNT SHOW AND TELL*- Along with film clips and stunt vis, this firsthand look at some of the key sequences in the film will peel back the layers of the stunt process.
· KEEPING IT IN THE FAMILY: A CONVERSATION WITH ROMAN AND DWAYNE*- In this intimate conversation, Roman Reigns and Dwayne Johnson discuss their personal relationship, coming from a long lineage of wrestlers, and what it’s like to be working side by side on a project so close to Johnson’s heart.
· BLIND FURY*- Dwayne reveals the inspiration behind one of the film’s key scenes – his grandfather!
· DWAYNE AND HOBBS: LOVE AT FIRST BITE*- We know how important family is to Dwayne Johnson, and his French Bulldog Hobbs is no exception. In this fun piece, fans can learn more about Dwayne and man’s best friend.
· FEATURE COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR DAVID LEITCH
* Exclusive to Digital, 4K Ultra HD & Blu-ray™
Hobbs & Shaw will be available on 4K Ultra HD in a combo pack (4K Ultra HD+ Blu-rayTM + Digital Code).
- 4K Ultra HD is the ultimate movie watching experience. 4K Ultra HD features the combination of 4K resolution for 4X sharper picture than HD, the color brilliance of High Dynamic Range (HDR) with immersive audio.
· Hobbs & Shaw 4K Ultra HD is available with HDR10+™, providing a premium HDR picture quality. HDR10+ transforms your movie watching experience with incredible brightness and contrast for each scene, delivering brighter brights and deepest darks.
- Blu-rayTM delivers a pristine HD picture and theater-quality surround sound.
- Digital lets fans watch movies anywhere on their favorite devices. Users can instantly stream or download.
- MOVIES ANYWHERE is the digital app that simplifies and enhances the digital movie collection and viewing experience by allowing consumers to access their favorite digital movies in one place when purchased or redeemed through participating digital retailers. Consumers can also redeem digital copy codes found in eligible Blu-rayTM and DVD disc packages from participating studios and stream or download them through Movies Anywhere. MOVIES ANYWHERE is only available in the United States. For more information, visit https://moviesanywhere.com
HOBBS & SHAW will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on Tuesday, November 5. It’s available today on Digital HD.