Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is releasing a Blu-ray combo pack (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital) of QUEEN & SLIM, on Tuesday, March 3.
Fresh Fiction has some Blu-ray copies to give away. Information on how to get yours is below, along with information on its release.
The rules are simple: Email email@example.com with your name and full mailing address (Note: U.S. addresses only and no PO boxes).
Title your email subject: “QUEEN & SLIM Movie Giveaway.”
In the body of email, tell us about a time when a first date took an unexpected turn.
The giveaway is active now until next Tuesday, March 3 at noon, central time.
by Travis Leamons
Melina Matsoukas’ drama is about a Tinder swipe that leads to a bad first date between a black woman and man – the eponymous Queen (newcomer Jodie Turner-Smith) and Slim (Daniel Kaluuya) – at a local diner that turns into a nightmare when a traffic stop leaves a police officer killed in self-defense. The shooting was justified (Slim’s, not the cop’s initial discharge). But because they are black and the cop is white, there is no such thing as justice. They decide to run.
What follows next is an episodic journey from the cold streets of Cleveland to the heat and humidity of the deep south as they travel the backroads to New Orleans before heading east through Georgia and the state of Florida. Along with their travels, Queen and Slim are met with friendly faces. Queen’s PTSD-stricken and pimp uncle Earl (Bokeem Woodbine) gives them a new car and threads. The bartender at a Georgia blues club pours them bourbon on the house. Junior (Jahi Di’Allo Winston), the son of a cantankerous mechanic, has been drawn in by the news coverage of the manhunt and is honored to meet them. He later snaps a photo of the outlaws that would define their legacy.
Throughout their escapades, Queen and Slim remain oblivious to what is happening in America. They have ditched their smartphones and avoid the news. The nation has split. Protests ensue. Some paint them as outlaws. Others, like Junior, have romanticized them as folk heroes. A rage is building.
BONUS FEATURES on 4K ULTRA HD, BLU-RAYTM, DVD AND DIGITAL:
- Feature Commentary with Director/Producer Melina Matsoukas and Writer/Producer Lena Waithe
- A Deeper Meaning – Daniel Kaluuya, Jodie Turner-Smith and filmmakers discuss the complicated journeys of Queen & Slim and explore the deeper meanings of how far these characters have come from where they began.
- Melina & Lena – A behind-the-scenes look at the creative partnership between director/producer
Melina Matsoukas and screenwriter/producer Lena Waithe.
- Off The Script – Screenwriter Lena Waithe reads from her original screenplay for Queen & Slim.
- On The Run With Queen & Slim – Go behind the scenes with the cast and crew of Queen & Slim as they film in Cleveland and New Orleans.
QUEEN & SLIM will be available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-ray and DVD on Tuesday, March 3. It’s available today on Digital HD.