Hello, there! My name is Preston Barta, and I am the features editor of Fresh Fiction and senior film critic at the Denton Record-Chronicle. My cinematic love story began where I was born: off planet on the isolated desert world of the Jakku system. It's there I passed the time scavenging for loose parts with my good friend Rey. One day I found an old film projector and a dusty reel of the 1975 film JAWS. It rocked my world so much that I left my kinfolk in the rearview (I so miss their morning cups of green milk) to pursue my dreams of writing about film. It wasn't long until I met two gents who said they would give me a lift. I can't recall their names, but one was an older man who liked to point a lot and the other was a tall, hairy fella. They got me as far as one of Jupiter's moons where we crossed paths with the U.S.S. Enterprise. Some pointy-eared bastard said I was clear to come aboard. He saw that I was clutching my beloved shark movie and invited me to the "moving pictures room" where he was screening the 1993 film JURASSIC PARK to his crew. He said my life would be much more prosperous if I were familiar with more work by the god named Steven Spielberg. From there, my love for cinema blossomed. Once we reached planet Earth, everything changed. I found the small town of Denton, TX, and was welcomed into the Barta family. They showed me the writings of local film critic Boo Allen. He became my hero and caused me to chase a degree in film and journalism. After my studies at graduate of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, I met some film critics who showed me the ropes and got me into my first press screening: 2011's THE GREEN LANTERN. Don't worry; I recovered just fine. MAD MAX: FURY ROAD was only four years away.
Universal Pictures Home Entertainment is releasing a Blu-ray combo pack (Blu-ray/DVD/Digital) of JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM on Tuesday, Sept. 18. Fresh Fiction has some Blu-ray copies to give away. Information on how to get yours is below, along with information on the release.
The rules are simple: Email email@example.com with your name and full mailing address (Note: U.S. addresses only and no PO boxes). Title your email subject: “JURASSIC WORLD Giveaway.” In the body of email, tell us about the first time you watched the original 1993 JURASSIC PARK and what sort of impact did it have on you? The giveaway is active now until next Wednesday, Sept. 19 at noon, central time.
Jared McMillan’s Synopsis
The fifth movie of the JURASSIC PARK/WORLD franchise revolves around the fact that Isla Nublar is actually an active volcano, which will violently erupt and killing all dinosaurs. Dr. Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) argues before a government committee that we should let them die, and they concur. Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard) is now running a non-profit that is actively trying to save dinosaurs from becoming extinct again when she hears the news. However, she gets a call from the estate of Ben Lockwood (James Cromwell) that might help her cause.
At his mansion, Claire is welcomed by Eli Mills (Rafe Spall), the caretaker of the dying Lockwood’s financial matters. He reveals (to the audience) that Lockwood is the former business partner of John Hammond, and Jurassic Park was their vision. They have a plan to move various species to a secure location, so they can thrive, but she knows the park better than anyone, so they need her help. She goes and gets Owen (Chris Pratt) because he is the only one that can get Blue, the raptor he raised on the island. Of course, they go with the best intentions, and, of course, everyone else has a plan to exploit the dinosaurs.
BONUS FEATURES EXCLUSIVE TO BLU-RAY™:
- The Kingdom Evolves – Filmmakers discuss how the second chapter in the Jurassic World trilogy pushes the franchise in a new direction.
- Return to Hawaii – Cast and crew discuss shooting the film in Hawaii.
- Island Action – A behind-the-scenes look at the bunker scene and runaway gyrosphere sequence.
- Aboard the Arcadia – Cast and crew discuss working with the animatronic dinosaurs.
- Start the Bidding! – A behind-the-scenes look at the auction scene.
- On Set with Chris & Bryce – Go behind the scenes with Chris Pratt and Bryce Dallas Howard.
- Birth of the Indoraptor – An inside look at the genetically designed monstrosity known as the Indoraptor.
- Death by Dino – Go behind the scenes as the Indoraptor faces off with a key character.
- Monster in a Mansion – Director J.A. Bayona discusses how Jurassic Park and Dracula (1979) influenced his approach to directing the monster in a mansion scene.
- Rooftop Showdown – A look at the terrifying showdown on the rooftop of the Lockwood Mansion.
- Malcolm’s Return – Behind the scenes with the one & only Jeff Goldblum.
- VFX Evolved – The team at ILM discuss their cutting-edge approach to creating dinosaurs.
- Fallen Kingdom: The Conversation – Filmmakers and cast sit down for a candid and casual conversation about Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom:
- Chris Pratt’s Jurassic Journals
- Vivian Baker, Makeup Artist
- Mary Mastro, Hair Stylist
- Chris Murphy, 1st Assistant Sound
- Dean Bailey, Stunt Edge Car Driver
- Peter Harcourt, Diver
- Daniella Pineda and Justice Smith, Actors
- Jody Wiltshire, Set PA
- Kelly Krieg, Assistant Script Supervisor
- J.A. Bayona, Director
- James Cox, Stunt Performer
- Rachelle Beinart, Stunt Double
- Bryce Dallas Howard interviews Chris Pratt, Actor
- A Song for the Kingdom – Justice Smith sings for the cast and crew of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
- Jurassic Then and Now (Presented by Barbasol) – Key moments from the Jurassic saga that tie into Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom.
JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM will be available on Blu-ray and DVD on Tuesday, Sept. 18. It’s available on Digital HD today.
Note: I have to admit, the trailer for the home release of FALLEN KINGDOM is cut together pretty well.